Late Summer Stone Energy Edition – Streetsblog New York City
You know Labor Day is coming up when… there’s no one left in town to make or report the news.
No big story emerged yesterday.
Mayor Adams even took the time to make some off-the-cuff remarks during the first official tour of City Hall since the pandemic, during which he revealed to tourists that he was, in fact, a Type of crystals.
“We sometimes forget that stones accumulate energy” @NYCMaire Adams says about the City Hall building. “Stones and metal gather energy. This energy is still there.
— Jeff Coltin (@JCColtin) August 29, 2022
Later, the mayor looked Serena Williams wins her match at the US Open (see photo above with Mike Tyson).
Here are some stories we read:
Come join us tomorrow at our Back 2 School road safety event. pic.twitter.com/qm420qDbc9
— NYPD Transportation Office (@NYPDTransport) August 29, 2022
- Mayor Adams told the cops attached to the office to take to the streets. (NYDN, New York Post)
- Two teenagers on a moped collided with a car in Brooklyn, cops said, and now a youngster is in critical condition. (NYDN)
- The strongest will pick up the garbage on Labor Day, breaking with tradition. (NY Times)
- In more sanitation news (or, should we say, feature stories), Curbed went to “garbage school” with some novice garbage collectors, and delivered a pithy despatch.
- Another cop is escaping discipline for brutality charges during the George Floyd protests. He’s also a sign abuser, natch. (The city)
- A teenage subway “surfer” lost his arm after falling off a train at Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave. 🙁NYDN, amNY)
- NJ Gov. Murphy, doing his best to emulate Josh Gottheimer, went wild over congestion pricing. (gothamist)
- Astorians have started a petition to bring 31st Avenue back to Open Street next year. ( Via Change.org)
- Finally, the ‘zombie apocalypse’ is here, in the form of Greenland’s ‘zombie ice’, which will cause sea levels to rise 10 inches no matter what we do. (NBC)