Just pay for the already screwed up Subway edition – Streetsblog New York City
Yesterday’s MTA board meeting was the usual high-stakes game over how to pay for public transit, aka the lifeblood of the city and region.
The discussion focused on the shortfalls and dedicated funding flows (amNY, NYDN), ridership decreases rapidly (New York Post), the off-year budget strategy (Streetsblog). The city had a good angle: McKinsey & Co., who was so wrong about so many things about the citywas wrong in his predictions.
We are fed up.
Simply put, millions of New Yorkers depend on public transit: so stop with the neoliberal chatter. Make congestion pricing work. Put a price tag on each of our three million “parking” spaces to fund public transit. Get people out of cars and onto trains and buses before the whole fucking city is under water due to climate change.
amNY’s Kevin Duggan, as he often does, found a silver lining in the meeting: The MTA has signed an agreement to roll out cellular service in its tunnels and provide free Wi-Fi at its stations. daily news dug into a document for a morning dispatch: The agency will vote on fixing Roosevelt-era signals in Brooklyn before working on busy lines with newer (Nixon and Reagan-era!) lines.
In other news:
- Why are the Sharks so much smarter than people when it comes to the real danger? (hell gate)
- Another motorist crashed into another Staten Island home, this one the molto pericoloso Hylan Blvd. Either the drivers on the Rock are out of whack or the roads stink, Joe Borelli! Maybe both? (IF live)
- A New York cop who lives on Long Island has been arrested in a road rage incident that ended with a gun. (NYDN)
- A speeding ticket killed his passenger and possibly himself outside JFK. (NYDN)
- The drunk man who allegedly killed a family of three, including two New Yorkers, on Jericho Turnpike has been arrested. (NBCNY)
- So many questions about Gateway. (Public transportation)
- Governor Hochul signed a speed camera exclusion for emergency medical first responders, such as Hatzolah drivers. (Yeshiva World News)
- Who uses all those dirt bikes and ATVs that Mayor Adams loves to smash so much? Delivery people, many of whom don’t realize the machines are illegal. (Documented)
- The Riverdale Press ask the city to keep attacking the plague of ghost cars.
- ICYMI: Some Manhattanites believe that resident parking permits will save them from having to spend money to park their car. They are wrong. (New York Post)
- We love pictures of “dumb motorists” because as pedestrians we are constantly amazed at the incompetence, carelessness and lawlessness of people who regularly drive multi-ton vehicles, most of which pass unnoticed. On the plus side, simple infrastructure like the bollard in the image below clearly saves lives when careless drivers are on the road. (ViaTwitter)
Looks like the pedestrian safety upgrades along 21st are already working! (Photo by Reddit r/astoria) pic.twitter.com/CVu2ksHIgt
— Adam Fisher-Cox (@adamfc) July 25, 2022