It’s just the sick edition – Streetsblog New York City
The big story on Monday was the fact that thousands of city workers reported sick rather than accepting the city’s mandate to get vaccinated, which is really not too much to ask if you want to continue, you know, to serve the public.
There was wall-to-wall coverage:
- The Daily News focused on the 2,000 firefighters who called with the flu shot. The newspaper also looked at the cops who suddenly found God… to avoid the jab.
- The Post provided a broad overview of the more than 10,000 workers who were not vaccinated, but also let the NYPD work their way into the fact that 15% of the force still has not been vaccinated.
- The Times and Gothamist put the number at nearly 9,000.
In other news:
- Today’s essential story was from The Times, which posted photos of Soviet-era subway stations that will make every New Yorker salivate (which we can do because our platforms are messy). Why can’t we have beautiful things and the Evil Empire can?
- The Daily News and The Post had a great story about a Mustang owner who left his car idling in a driveway to drag it around. The owner of the muscle car was so desperate to get his wheels back that he told the cops there was a 7-year-old boy with Down syndrome in the back seat. The cops did indeed find the car thief quickly – but it is not known whether the lie about the hostage in the back accelerated the police effort. It’s worth following: How fast does the NYPD normally resolve car theft compared to when it thinks a child is in the back seat?
- The Times has finally started to cover the hunger strike by taxi drivers.
- Our friend John Massengale did an excellent editorial in the Daily News on the future of the city’s streets (better without cars!).
- Hey, Chuck Schumer, get us away from fossil fuels. (amNY)
- And, finally, maybe restaurants will spark a bicycle parking revolution (because we know the city certainly isn’t):
This is the correct use to reserve the last 5 feet of your street for pic.twitter.com/9B2A28CHl5
– Rich BASH_SILENCE_DEPRECATION_WARNING Mintz (@richmintz) November 1, 2021